The primary publications that describe the rules of how a Soccer match is officiated and requirements for a Referee are:
- Laws of the Game
- Guide to Procedures for Referees, Assistant Referees, and Fourth Officials
These publications and more can be found on the "U.S. Soccer Referee Program" web page.
The Connecticut State Referee Program (CSRP) is affiliated with and it administers a Referee training program as prescribed by U.S. Soccer.
The CSRP will typically offer "Entry Level" Referee Certification from late summer through mid-December. Candidates who meet the age requirement and would like to become a Soccer Referee may register for Entry Level Referee Certification when on-line registration is posted on the CSRP Event Calendar.
REFEREE - GRADE 8 ENTRY LEVEL CLINIC
The Grade 8 Entry Level Clinic will train individuals wishing to Referee youth games and is required training for those wishing to advance to officiate higher level competitions and upgrade to higher Referee grades. ("Grade 8" refers to the US Soccer "Referee Grade", not your current school grade level)
- To enroll in the Entry Level Training you must be 13 years old by June 30
of the new officiating year
- Clinic fee - $93.95
- Complete and pass all training modules and final exam (on-line)
- Register for and attend the "in-class/field session" (in full uniform with flags and a whistle)
Topics include instruction on the Diagonal System of Control (using three officials), fouls and misconduct, offside, Referee and Assistant Referee duties and responsibilities. Upon successful completion and registration with USSF and CSRP the individual may officiate various levels of youth games as a Referee or Assistant Referee.
You may be a:
- Referee for small-sided games (U6 - U8)
- Referee for recreational youth games
- Referee for youth games
- Assistant Referee foryouth games
Select one the links below for more Entry Level Clinic information:
If you do not see any clinic offerings appropriate to your needs please check back for future postings or contact the CSRP Office at firstname.lastname@example.org
for more information.